Saturday, January 25, 2003

Claude Debussy on music:


"There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. I love music passionately. And because l love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it. It is a free art gushing forth, an open-air art boundless as the elements, the wind, the sky, the sea. It must never be shut in and become an academic art".


Took the words out of my mouth or, should I say, Debussy and others like him were thinking and feeling the same things long before my sorry ass got here to this earth.

Someone commented a bit ago about my different tastes in music. It's always been my goal to be a 'total' musician. I've always wanted to have the ability to convincingly play any kind of music that I hear. Music also makes me understand people from other parts of the world. It's fascinating that we are not separated at all as musicians. I think it would help people around the world to learn each others' music. You know, sympathy for your fellow man. Connections. Connectors connecting. It would be a subtle but, deep connection if the powers that be would let us reach each other...Hey...! wait a minute! Didn't they already try this with exchange concerts with high schoolers to different parts of the world? Now I understand....That's why there are wars now because programs like these failed...OIC...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home